Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My First Day

Hello… My name is Larry Larimore and today is my first day on the job as Chief of Police in Shawnee, Kansas (I know...sounds like the start of a paper we did in grade school).  I have been a Shawnee police officer for twenty-five years now, and before my current promotion, I served as Deputy Chief to now retired Police Chief Jim Morgan.  When Jim announced he was planning to retire last summer, I immediately let City Manager Carol Gonzales know that I would love to have the opportunity to lead this fantastic Department and I had several ideas of what I would do as Chief.  One of my ideas was to have our Police Department develop and implement a social media strategy.  We recognize that social media sites are rapidly becoming a norm in the way people and organizations communicate.  Through the use of these communication methods, the Police Department can spread our message by reaching a larger and diverse audience.  Creating this blog is part of that strategy.  


Back in January 2011, before I was even appointed Chief, I spoke with the City's Social Media Guru Bridget Moser and presented my idea.  She shared some valuable insight and then pointed me towards Susan Bedsaul, the City's Web Development Manager.  I told Susan about my idea and she said it would be easy to set up a blog and link it to the City's web page and the City's social media sites.  As a matter of fact, before I even had time to drive back to my office, Bridget and Susan already had my blog set up and named.  Thank you Bridget and Susan for getting me started.      


The purpose of my blog is to share some behind the scenes look at the Shawnee Police Department.  I plan on posting a mix of entertaining community-oriented information, crime and criminal happenings, crime prevention tips, and commendable performances by our staff.  The schedule of a police chief in a City as large as ours can be very hectic, but I plan to post as often as possible.  If you would like to share your comments, I would be happy to read them and pass them on if necessary.  All I ask is that any comments are constructive in nature, and for that I thank you in advance.  Please come back and read more about our Police Department and our cast of characters. I can promise it will be entertaining, and I have assembled a crack group of reporters and they should be funneling me the GOOD stuff. 


Last thing before I sign off…I would like the thank Deputy Chief Rob Moser in advance.  Rob is responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations at our Department, and with the ship in his very capable hands, I am free to do things like this and promote our Department as one of the best in the Country.


More to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment